This vinaigrette is one of our go-to recipes, and we’re asked for the recipe so often we had to include it here. Originally named “Our Favorite Vinaigrette” by the authors of the famed The Silver Palate Cookbook, the recipe was included in that cookbook as a vinaigrette for serving over asparagus. But we love it so much, we use it as a salad dressing.
This is a simple dressing made with Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, olive oil, a touch of sugar and other seasonings – and the Silver Palate authors have perfected the proportions of the ingredients.
The original recipe calls for whisking the ingredients together by hand – but we used an immersion blender to mix the ingredients for a more emulsified and creamy version. Prepared either way, it’s sure to become a favorite of yours too!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Minced parsley and/or snipped fresh chives to taste (we used parsley)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a tall cup (ideally the one that comes with an immersion blender), add in the mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and herbs to taste. Whisk with a fork to combine just slightly.
- Add the olive oil and blend using the immersion blender until completely combined and thickened.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Cover until ready to use.
- (Note: As noted above, if you do not have an immersion blender, this can also be made by whisking all of the ingredients by hand until thickened.)
You may also like: