With the warmer weather finally here in New England, the invitations to some neighborhood barbeques are already starting to arrive! Can you believe that Memorial Day is only a few weeks away!? So we’re starting to dig out some of our favorite recipes that are great to bring along to parties and picnics, and this Broccoli and Bacon Salad is definitely on that list!
This broccoli and bacon salad is a recipe that my sister-in-law Pam originally shared with me. I remember the first time I had this – it was love at first bite! It’s a combination of fresh broccoli, crispy bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese in a sweet and creamy dressing made with sour cream, mayonnaise, and sugar. And a little bit of red onion and vinegar add some ‘zing’ to the dressing that is perfect with the flavors in this broccoli and bacon salad!
Forget any of the other dishes at the barbeque – just give me a big bowl of this broccoli and bacon salad and I’d be very happy! (I think you will be too!)
- 1 large or 2 small heads of broccoli
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 12 slices bacon (about half a package)
- ½ cup red onion chopped or sliced thin (your choice)
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream or crème fraiche (your choice)
- ½ cup mayonnaise (we recommend Hellman’s or homemade mayonnaise)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- Cut off the thickest part of the stem of broccoli and discard. Cut the remaining head into small florets. Heat a medium pot with water and a tablespoon of salt and bring to a boil.
- Fill a medium to large bowl with ice water. Once the pot of water is boiling, drop the broccoli florets into the boiling water and count 30 seconds. Immediately drain off the water and plunge the broccoli into the ice bath.
- Drain the broccoli and lay out on a large sheet of paper towels. Start rolling the paper towels and broccoli around and around like a jelly roll then squeeze out the water. Repeat a second time until the broccoli is completely dry and drained of all water. Place the broccoli in a large bowl and refrigerate until after the bacon is cooked.
- Cook the bacon until crispy and then crumble. Discard bacon fat (or save for other recipes if you wish).
- Remove the broccoli from the refrigerator and add cooked, crumbled bacon, red onion and cheddar cheese.
- In a small bowl mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the broccoli mixture, combine and serve.
You may also like: